Skip to main content

some card eye candy/is scraplifting ok?

We have another snow day today!  It has finally stopped, but not before giving us a good 8 inches of that powdery stuff.  Hurray!  We played outside twice today before the bitter cold chased us back inside.  It was so much fun. 

Now that I'm back inside and warm, I wanted to share a few cards that I made a while back.  I need to put a disclaimer out there before you see them.  Many times I am not that creative.  I need a jumping off point so I will browse around until I see an idea of what I am wanting to make and then I make it my own with what I have.  It is not exactly scraplifting per se, because I don't make scrapbook pages, but in essence it is because I am getting inspiration from someone else's work.  There are a lot of arguments about whether or not it is appropriate.  Personally I think it is ok because I almost never have the same exact papers or supplies that were used in a particular project.   I usually subtract or add elements as well.  I mean, card-making and scrapbooking has been around a LONG TIME.  Original ideas are still out there, but there isn't always a need to recreate the wheel.  Anyway, that's my opinion.  With that in mind, here are some cards I want to show you.


This card I made with my From My Kitchen Cricut cartridge.  I copied it from a card I saw in Cricut cards magazine from Northridge Publishing.  I added some extra things though, like hand-cut flames and grass and the words.  There wasn't a fork on the cartridge so I cut another spatula down to make it.  I made a handle for the grill and bumped it out with dimensional dots so I could "hang" the utensils.  It was a fun card to make.  When I'm having fun making cards, often I will clap and squeak and giggle like a child.  It is disgusting but I just get so tickled making itty bitty things!!  Do you do that too??  Please don't tell me I'm the only one.

 
This card I made for my children for Valentine's Day.  I made it because when I tell them I love them, I tell them I love them more than anything in the whole, wide world.  Now after saying it for so long it has been shortened to this:  my son, "I love you."  me, "whole wide world."  my son, "ever and ever."  Sigh, makes my heart swell and ache.  I love them so much!  I used Cricut's Give a Hoot cartridge for the gift wrapped earth.  The font I used is DJ Candy Heart Font.  I used a black paper with white polka dots to represent the millions of stars in the sky.  It is just a piece from a Paper Studios pack that you can get from Hobby Lobby. 
 
 
This card I made for my friend Carmen.  The word is mija.  Mija is Spanish and short for "mi hija" which means "my daughter".  I used the Type Candy cartridge from Cricut.  I love the bright colors on this. 
 
 
And the last one for today.  This one I completely scraplifted.  Like, 100%.  I think I embellished it a little bit more (me, use too much glitter or rhinestones?  unheard of.)  I am happy to say that the pink chevron paper that I used is by Mel from Mel Stampz.  SHE IS AMAZING.  When I grow up, I want to be her.  She makes awesome digital papers which she loves to share.  I want to print every single one.  Seriously.  Check her out. 
 
So that is it for now.  Thanks for stopping by!  I hope that wherever you are, you are warm and cozy on this chilly night!  This weather is for the birds!  Cheers!
 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The tooth fairy box

We had a momentous occasion take place this past weekend.  My daughter lost her first tooth!  She was so excited when she realized that I had pulled it out.  I knew we had to make something special to keep that little bitty guy from getting lost.  Here is what we came up with:         We dug in our huge stock of craft stuff and found a little oval paper mache box.  It is about 3 3/4 inches long and 2 1/2 inches wide.  Still big for a baby tooth but also big enough to fit a little trinket and some coins from a winged fairy who spreads glitter and magic in exchange for them.  :)    I negotiated hard for the printed paper.  It is from the Emma's Shoppe Collection Fabrics from Crate Paper .  I showed my daughter many different prints and she wasn't interested.  She chose the solid pink and blue and I had to tell her I would hardly use the floral at all.  Tough sell!  First, I hot glued 4 plain wooden beads on the bottom of the box to make feet.  I then measur

a gift for a baby girl

A little over a year ago a sweet baby girl named Lila was born.  I had never met her.  My husband worked with her father and had asked me to make a gift for her.  I quickly obliged since it meant being able to use my craft goodies.  After thinking a while, I decided upon a foot stool and some blocks.  My cousin gave me a stool at my daughter's baby shower five and a half years ago and it is the single most thing we use.  Every day.  So much so that I had to make another one  for my son since my children were getting too big to both stand on it at the same time.  Seriously, if you are scrambling for a gift that will stand out and be remembered, a stool will do it.  Even if you aren't creative, you can just paint the thing and be finished.  I got the stool and blocks at Hobby Lobby.  If you go there weekly, like I do, (did) you can figure out when things will be on sale so you don't have to pay full price, or you can just use that precious 40% off coupon that comes out week